Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bishop Zarway

Bishop Zarway

Without exaggerating one bit, I visited with hundreds of pastors on our trip, perhaps 250. As you could imagine, names could not be remembered. And with most, I had no idea whether they pastored a large church or a small one, and I really didn’t care. I just wanted to encourage them and let them know God had big plans for Liberia.

On Tuesday morning, after the crusade was over, I met a pastor with a big gapped tooth smile named Bishop Zarway. He is a person you just instantly like. We visited for a little while and I began my usual encouragement to pastors to get out into the communities, markets and streets to share the gospel.

He smiled and said he agreed. Just a few weeks ago his church had baptized 56 people. My heart jumped as I came to see this pastor “got it”. His church ran an elementary school for 800 children and a high school for 400. He took great satisfaction in telling me that he made certain every student heard the gospel at least once a week. What a powerful ministry this man leads.

His wife is a doctor. They had just completed a brand new clinic and he asked me to come visit. Later that afternoon, we made our way down the long, bumpy dirt road that led to the clinic. As we walked up to the gate, Bishop Zarway was walking out. We almost ran into each other. As soon as he recognized me that big, gapped tooth smile began to shine and he grabbed my hand and said “you came, you came”.

The clinic was first class with tiled floors and bathrooms, air conditioning, a lab, an ultrasound, a surgical room and a pharmacy. God has blessed the people of this community with a great medical facility and a highly trained doctor and staff. What a blessing they will be to many, many people.

We gathered together to pray with Bishop Zarway and ask that God bless this new clinic and his ministry. But I think we were a little late. This pastor “gets it” and God is already blessing his ministry greatly.

Thanks God for Bishop Zarway, his doctor wife, and his amazing ministry.

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment