Sunday, April 5, 2009

He couldn't stop crying

He couldn’t stop crying

Saturday, during the crusade, Calvin Burgess spoke about what could be done in Liberia to use the land and called them to repentance and to Christ. Dax then followed up with a call to repentance and asked them to go back to being Christopolis, Monrovia’s former name. An invitation was given for people to repent of sin. Hundreds responded and came forward to pray and repent.

Afterward, during some praise music, I walked into the crowd to visit with people. A man immediately caught my eye. He had his head in his hands and he was weeping. Not really knowing what was the matter, I simply sat beside him and put my arm around him. He could not stop crying.

He was a little dirty, wearing some old jeans and a black T shirt. His shoes were worn tennis shoes. It was clear this man was just a common Liberian. No fancy clothes or gold colored jewelry as many Liberians wear to impress.

I finally asked him what was wrong. It took him several minutes more before he could talk. As tears were still trickling down his cheeks, eyes red, he pulled out a yellow notepad with two pages full of handwritten notes.

“God told me some things months ago. I told other people but they said I was crazy. They wouldn’t believe me. Some said I would be killed if I said these things. Nobody would believe me.” He handed me the notes he had written months earlier.

I couldn’t believe it. What was written was almost word for word of what Dax had said. He could not have had time to write this down while Dax was speaking. God had told this man the same things He had told Dax.

And this thought overwhelmed the emotions of this man. God had spoken to him. God did want Monrovia to once again be called the City of Christ. People did need to repent. Liberia did need to stop looking to the white man to help them and begin looking to God. What he had written was true. This man knew he had talked with God and now it was confirmed by a big white American he had never met.

This was why the man couldn’t stop crying. So often we hear God’s voice but have doubts whether it was really God or just our imagination. So often we hear God’s voice but others scoff and ridicule us when we share it. Thank God that He seems to send us just the right encouragement and confirmation at just the right time.

Christopolis, the City of Christ, a vision of the future.

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment